Avoid the SALT. Another recession indicator. How can the economy be terrible if most of us say we’re financially OK?[Read more…] about 3 interesting things I saw this week – June 2, 2022
Housing may not be in a bubble. The yield curve – market timing tool? Why forecasting is hard.[Read more…] about 3 interesting things I saw this week – April 8, 2022
Is a recession on the horizon? People really do live on cruise ships. The secret to happiness.[Read more…] about 3 interesting things I saw this week – April 1, 2022
With the market struggles over the past few months and world events over the past few days, there have been no lack of reasons for investors to be concerned. Here is a quick list in no particular order.
- Inflation – At 7.5%, inflation is at levels not seen since the early ’80’s.
- Consumer confidence – Because of high inflation, consumers are less confident about their financial well-being than they were at the start of the pandemic in 2020.
- Rising interest rates – To try and get inflation back under control, beginning in March, the Fed is expected to incrementally raise interest rates anywhere between 1% – 1.75% through the end of the year.
- Investor confidence – The AAII index of investor sentiment shows investors haven’t been this bearish since the start of the pandemic when the market dropped over 30% in a month.
- Geopolitical instability – Last but certainly not least, Russia has
threatenedlaunched an invasion of Ukraine.
(Notice Covid-19 is not on the list. The market has already concluded that this risk is behind us.)[Read more…] about What can history tell us about current market worries?
Social Security benefits on track for largest increase in over a decade. It’s official: There was a recession last year. Building a better workplace.[Read more…] about 3 interesting things I saw this week – July 23, 2021
The historic nature of this recession in 4 charts. COBRA benefits extended. Don’t stock up on diapers just yet.[Read more…] about 3 interesting things I saw this week – July 31, 2020
How long it took the economy to recover from the past 6 recessions. The mint is ramping up coin production. Is work from home here to stay?
[Read more…] about 3 interesting things I saw this week – July 9, 2020