A historic day in the markets. He read 77 years of Time magazine so you don’t have to. Medicare Advantage plans.[Read more…] about 3 interesting things I saw this week – November 11, 2022
Treat your savings better. The sun will come out tomorrow. Don’t take all the credit.[Read more…] about 3 interesting things I saw this week – October 6, 2022
We’re living better than our parents. Now we know how investors felt during the 1930’s & 1970’s. Humans aren’t the only ones who hate inflation.[Read more…] about 3 interesting things I saw this week – July 8, 2022
A historical start to the year. Potentially big changes coming for Medicare. Dotcom redux.[Read more…] about 3 interesting things I saw this week – May 12
On Monday I started seeing the ominous headlines on financial television and websites. The S&P 500 had just made a “Death Cross”, defined as when the 50 day moving average of stock prices crosses below the 200 day moving average. While the term sounds serious, is this something investors should be worried about?[Read more…] about Should you be worried about the “Death Cross”?
With the market struggles over the past few months and world events over the past few days, there have been no lack of reasons for investors to be concerned. Here is a quick list in no particular order.
- Inflation – At 7.5%, inflation is at levels not seen since the early ’80’s.
- Consumer confidence – Because of high inflation, consumers are less confident about their financial well-being than they were at the start of the pandemic in 2020.
- Rising interest rates – To try and get inflation back under control, beginning in March, the Fed is expected to incrementally raise interest rates anywhere between 1% – 1.75% through the end of the year.
- Investor confidence – The AAII index of investor sentiment shows investors haven’t been this bearish since the start of the pandemic when the market dropped over 30% in a month.
- Geopolitical instability – Last but certainly not least, Russia has
threatenedlaunched an invasion of Ukraine.
(Notice Covid-19 is not on the list. The market has already concluded that this risk is behind us.)[Read more…] about What can history tell us about current market worries?
Will Santa visit Wall Street this year? Take more assymetrical risks. College costs are one place where inflation is slowing down.[Read more…] about 3 interesting things I saw this week – December 17, 2021
The stock market moves up and down, but mostly up. Tax proposal details. Remember more at work.[Read more…] about 3 interesting things I saw this week – September 23, 2021